Doulas of Monterey County
As of May 2012
We envision a doula for every woman who wants one.
DOMCO’s mission is to improve the physical and mental health of childbearing women and families by:
- Educating the public on the value of prenatal, labor and postpartum support;
- Educating health care providers as to the benefits of a doula’s presence before, during and after childbirth;
- Increasing the number of trained, experienced doulas and the number of doula attended families in Monterey County;
- Offering free childbirth education and doula support to at risk and under-served women in Monterey County.
Statement of Goals:
- Provide information on childbirth options and services to our community.
- Engage in outreach to women who are unable to obtain quality reproductive health care by virtue of barriers created by poverty, cultural differences, race or ethnicity, geography, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other factors that contribute to health care inequities.
- Establish and maintain sources of consistent funding to provide doula services to underserved women.
- Network with providers of women’s health services and other women’s organizations in our community.
- Provide information on training and education to doulas and prospective doulas.
- Organize continuing education workshops for doulas, service providers and members of the public on topics relating to maternal and infant health.
- Adhere to a structure of self-regulation, which includes standards of practice, a code of ethics and peer review, in order to promote professionalism in doula practice.